Tuesday 22 December 2020

LPT: If you don't drink but still go to bars for social events, ask the bartender to give you a soda but make it look like a cocktail. All bartenders will do this if asked. Enjoy being spared the tons of "why aren't you drinking?' questions.

I don't drink simply because I don't enjoy alcohol. However, I still enjoy going to bars to socialize with friends. If I am clearly just drinking water, I am always inundated with questions about why I'm not drinking. People get very nervous drinking around a sober person. I learned this trick from a friend who is a recovering alcoholic and it has made my social life much more enjoyable! I typically ask for a seltzer with a shot of grenadine. A lot of times the bartender won't even charge you, which is another nice benefit. But remember to tip them regardless!

Edit: but don't go to bars or social events during pandemic

Edit 2: I have gotten the comment many times that you shouldn't be friends with people who judge you for not drinking or pressure you to drink. I 100% AGREE. However, this is really a problem in large social circles with acquaintances, at family events such as weddings, and especially at work functions. This tip is just a way to avoid being harassed about why you're not drinking in those situations. It's particularly bad for women, who will get asked so many times if they're pregnant. Sometimes it's more worth it to just fake it than to be confrontational, especially if you want to just relax and enjoy yourself!

submitted by /u/weezerluva369 to r/LifeProTips
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment