Friday 18 September 2020

I started staring back at men who openly stare at me and it’s life changing

It feels so icky at first, but once you get past that, it has been the most liberating thing I’ve done in a long time. I realized that when I go out in public, at the grocery store or the gym or whatever, I tend to avoid any eye contact with strange men. I can feel their eyes on me, but I have become really skilled at pretending I don’t, and always looking at things behind them, below them, above them to avoid acknowledging their stare.

And I realized that my motivation for that is because it makes me SO uncomfortable to be stared at like a zoo animal, and because I don’t want them to be encouraged to approach me. And I realized that that is bullshit. So I just did it. I walked into the grocery store, eyes up. Man starts looking and I looked straight back, slack faced, no expression. He reacted very weirdly: held the eye contact for too long, then realized it and looked away, but then looked right back and smiled. I just kept staring back and he stopped smiling and turned around and walked away. It was fucking amazing. I highly recommend it, marvelous feeling.

submitted by /u/fartfaceallday to r/TwoXChromosomes
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment